Part 1: Common School (Response)



    Part 1 of School :The story of American Public Education, titled "The Common School", was extremely interesting and allowed me to gain an understanding of the beginings of education in America. It's based on the years of 1770-1900, and discusses some of the struggles that were faced in the making of the United States's schooling and education systems. In those days schools were more for the rich and education was chosen by the parents of the children. Eventually the desire for a wiser, more educated future generation and the population growth of the country lead to the push/fight for public"common" schools for all. Although there was a desire to unify the states and the country with public schooling and education, there were many issues that continued to cause separations and disagreements among the people of the nation. 
    As we compare schools/education from those times to schools/education today, we can see that both bring unification in the nation but also bring separation. In those times I believe it brought more separation than unification. African Americans were not allowed to attend the same school as whites and those with different religions wanted to create separate schools for their children. Another issue was that those who were poor had more difficulty in receiving the same level of education as the rich. 

    
    


    Although there was much separation I believe that education played a huge role in unifying the United States. It caused citizens, towns, states, and eventually a nation as a whole to fight for a common goal. The desire for education and the persistence of a nation lead to the creation of public schools for all. It gave everyone a hope for a better future for themselves but especially for their children. Education isn't something that was just for the white Presbyterians; education was a fight for all races and religions. It may have begun on an unsteady, young nation full of racism and struggles, but soon took a turn when citizens came together. If it were not for leaders and parents such as Thomas Jefferson, Horace Mann, and Benjamin Roberts the state of the nation and education would not be where it is today. When there is a common goal being sought after and fought for in a nation such as the United States, it is bound to cause a growth and change for the betterment of the future. Education gave people a sense of freedom, a hope for the future, a sense of belonging, and the courage to fight for themselves. For African Americans education opened a path for their fight to freedom and allowed for them to gain a place in a land that once rejected them. 
    I feel as though education has helped to shape me to be the person I am today. I have always been a competitive person and have always strived to achieve the best. Education has allowed me to compete and fight for the top even when being told a man will achieve better. I use education to push me, encourage me, and prepare me for life and my future. If it were not for the education I have received and the opportunities I have gotten academically I would not be as successful as I am today. I will forever be grateful for my nation and the academic opportunities they offer for its citizens. 



















































































































Comments